Skip to main content

Featured

Witness The Fitness! I’m In Newsweek

  If someone had told me 5 years ago that at 45 I’d be a non-smoking teetotal fitness fanatic who had recently run a half-marathon with 10,000 other people (finishing in 1hr 36, the top 4% of all female runners) and just signed up to become a personal trainer, I’d probably have guffawed in disbelief as I chomped on a giant bag of salt and vinegar Kettle Chips, then lit another cigarette, poured myself a large Pinot and dismissed them with a flick of the wrist as I sat back to watch another episode of my favourite show on the telly. Exercise was not a word in my vocabulary (unless you counted flinging myself around a nightclub until silly o’clock on a Saturday night).   Yet here I am, writing this, 14 months sober and wearing slinky Sweaty Betty in a size small (I’m an almost 6ft giant - I’d never been a small in anything  until a few years ago) having done a BodyPump class at the gym and been for a run; drinking coffee and getting excited to learn about muscle groups. (When a person bu

Dynorphin: The Dopamine-Dampening Downer

I’d never heard of dynorphin before, and I’m no science geek 🤓, but think of it as the opposite of an endorphin, so it inhibits dopamine release, and is your body’s way of counteracting the high you get from booze. 

We all know alcohol is a depressant, but this helped me understand why...




Props to Annie Grace, author of This Naked Mind, for really helping me to understand both the psychology and the science behind why we choose to drink poison, repeatedly, for decades. 

Sounds kinda crazy when you say it like that, huh? 🤔




Day 157 🙌🏻

Comments

Popular Posts